Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Finances, fees, funding and support

Students may avail of a variety of financial supports while studying at Grange Community College such as:

  • PLC Maintenance Grant (SUSI)
  • PLC Government Levy Exemption
  • Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS)
  • Back to Education Allowance (BTEA)
  • Back to Education Allowance (BTEI)
  • Exemptions for Medical Card Holders
  • Childcare Support

There are no tuition fees for EU nationals. Non-EU nationals should contact the college for details of entry requirements. A registration fee of €50 is payable by each full time student to cover the cost of services. Students are also liable for examination and certification fees, special course material fees etc. Full details of charges relating to each particular course are available from the college and can be seen on each course web page.


PLC maintenance grants (SUSI)

Maintenance grants are available to all PLC students enrolled on a full-time course and under-taking QQI Level 5/6 courses. A means test is applied. Students wishing to apply for a grant must apply (online only) to SUSI through and on All decisions on eligibility are made by them. Students in receipt of Social Welfare payments are ineligible for PLC Grant assistance.

PLC Programme Participant Contribution (Government Levy)

This contribution of €200 is charged by the Government to participants on approved PLC courses. The following categories of participants are exempt from paying the contribution:

  • Full Medical Card holders in their own right and their dependent children
  • Those who are eligible under the student grant (PLC Grant) scheme
  • Those in receipt of a range of social welfare payments
  • Those on VTOS payments
  • Those in receipt of the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA)

VTOS (Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme)

Certain applicants may be eligible to avail of the VTOS Scheme. VTOS is the Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme, which offers second chance education and training for adults. While in College, VTOS learners retain their social welfare payments and any secondary benefits they already have. Course charges are covered under this scheme, and essential books and course materials are provided free of charge without losing any benefits. An allowance for lunch and travel may be payable in some cases. To qualify applicants must be over 21 years of age and in receipt of one of the following payments for at least six months (156 days) at the start of the chosen course:

  • One Parent Family Allowance.
  • Disability Allowance.
  • Unemployment Benefit/Allowance.
  • Signing up for credits.

Or be a dependent of any of the above.

Back to Education Allowance (BTEA)

The BTEA provides financial support for learners who have been offered a place on a full-time PLC course, and who have been in receipt of a social welfare payment for a designated period of time. This scheme allows learners to retain their welfare payments and any secondary benefits while in full-time education. Further information and application forms are available from the local office of the Department of Social Protection, or from

Back to Education Initiative (BTEI)

BTEI provides young people and adults with an opportunity to combine a return to learning with family, work and other responsibilities. BTEI courses are part-time and flexible. We offer a wide range of accredited courses in the College.

BTEI courses are free of charge to people in receipt of an eligible Social Welfare payment and for everyone with less than a Leaving Certificate qualification or equivalent. Fees are payable in certain other circumstances.

Exemptions for medical card holders

Holders of a current medical card are exempt from the Government PLC levy and QQI/FETAC examination fees. It is the student’’s responsibility to present their current medical card at registration.

To obtain the above exemption, documentary evidence of entitlement must be supplied to the college. This exemption applies to the €200.00 PLC Government Levy only.

Childcare Support

Funding for childcare costs may be available to eligible VTOS and BTEA learners under the CETS Scheme. For further information, contact any local County Childcare Committee or local Education and Training Board (ETB). For further information on funding for learners on Further Education/PLC courses, see

Students who are over 18 years of age and in receipt of one of a range of Social Welfare payments must inform their Social Welfare office that they are intending to pursue a full-time course of study.


For further information please contact the college at 01 8471422 or alternatively email or